Patanjali Yoga Sutras DemystifiedA Workshop by Dr. N. Ganesh Rao
18th – 23rd December 2017
Registration Opens July 2017
The Workshop entitled, “Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras Demystified – All Four Padas”, is envisaged keeping in mind three reasons:
- It is common knowledge that there is an air of mysticism and mysteriousness bordering on to incomprehensibility attached to the understanding of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (PYS). This situation arises because the Sutras are in Sanskrit and not all understand Sanskrit. It is further complicated due to the prevalence of so many interpretations, which differ from each other substantially, that one is not sure which interpretation to take up for reading. Thus, despite sincere interest and enthusiasm one is at a loss as regards understanding the PYS.
- The PYS embody vast, incomparable treasure of practical knowledge, which is not only thrilling to understand but also life-transforming if implemented in day to day life. Patanjali is a brilliant, par excellence, psychologist. Today, when Psycho-somatic ailments account for more than 90% of physical ailments, the relevance of the Yoga Sutras cannot be overemphasized and can be undoubtedly considered as a panacea for the ills afflicting modern human life.
- Sharing the insightful understanding of PYS with others is most fulfilling for Dr. Rao.
This intensive Workshop, the first of its kind, will enrich the understanding and practice of Yoga for all students and teachers of Yoga. It is relevant for all those enthusiasts who are interested in understanding the human mind, its functioning, control and transcendence. Clear understanding of PYS adds quality and sheer joy to life.
In the Course of the workshop, the following topics will be covered:
- Preparation for Understanding PYS:
- Shad Darsanas (Orthodox Indian Philosophy) in brief
- Samkhya Darsana, the Metaphysical Foundation of Yoga.
- Place of PYS in the Traditions of Yoga.
- The Uniqueness of “Sutra” as a Genre of Literature.
- Patanjali and Patanjal Yoga Sutras (an Over-view)
- The Ashtanga Yoga of Patanjali vis-a-vis Hatha Yoga
- The Ashtangas Explored and Exploded (in depth)
- Definition of Yoga
- The Theories of Vrittis, Klesas & Antarayas.
- The Concept of Isvara, Isvara Pranidhan and Pranava (AUM).
- Spirituality v/s Religion; ‘Yoga is the Grammar of all Spiritualities’.
- Law of Karma & Yogic Handling of the Mischief-Maker Samskara.
- Kriya Yoga of Patanjali
- Mind Control Techniques in PYS
- Therapy in PYS
- Siddhis and Vibhutis
- Meditation in PYS (incl. Samadhi and Samapatti)
- Philosophical Insights in 4th Pada (Kaivalya Pada)
- The Logic and Architecture of PYS.
- And More!!!
Dr. N. Ganesh Rao, with a Doctorate in Philosophy, is a Professor and Ph. D. Guide in Yoga and Philosophy. His never-ending fascination for Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras (PYS) makes him a constant learner and admirer of PYS. Dr. Rao has presented several Papers and written innumerable articles on various facets of PYS. He has shared his in-depth understanding in more than 1000 teaching hours of PYS till date.
In addition to the topics alongside, the workshop will provide an opportunity for participants to practice every day Asanas, Pranayama and Meditation in the Classical / traditional manner.
There will be daily group chanting of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras.
Further, open Discussion / Question – Answer session will be held daily to clarify doubts, strengthen understanding and ascertain applicability of PYS in daily life.
All these will be spaced out with proper rest and relaxation and the blissful experience of Yoga Nidra.